Quality Assurance Analyst
Duties & Responsibilities
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is a community of Information Technology professionals committed to understanding our users and devoted to making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. We are recruiting an IT workforce that has both breadth in their ability to collaborate and innovate across disciplines – and depth in specific areas of expertise. HUIT offers opportunities for IT professionals to learn and work in a unique technology landscape and service-focused environment. If you are a technically proficient, nimble, user-focused and accountable IT professional who also connects with the importance of collaborating well in a team environment we are looking for you!
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is seeking a Quality Assurance (QA) Analyst to plan, conduct, communicate, and document business testing processes related to the mission-critical research administration and compliance suite of applications. The QA Analyst works with business analysts, developers, and project managers to ensure the release of quality products to our end users. The person in this position will play an instrumental role in establishing a QA automation framework and advancing the team’s ability to deliver in more efficient ways.
Reporting to the Manager in the HUIT Administrative Technology Services organization, the QA Analyst works as a member of the Research Administration and Compliance Systems team to deliver software solutions to the research community at Harvard. Harvard University’s $800M+ (annual) research portfolio relies on a set of software applications throughout the award life-cycle. The Research Administration and Compliance Systems Team is responsible for designing and enhancing those IT systems and supporting the academic and administrative staff using the system to support their research projects. This position will be focused on testing of both custom and vendor-delivered software as well as report and reporting suites. The QA Analyst works in a collaborative team environment to deliver and support solutions and services. The QA Analyst must embody and demonstrate HUIT’s core values of being user-focused, collaborative, innovative, and open.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, writes, and executes manual tests designed to exercise application functionality and database requirements.Builds and maintains an automation testing framework for eventual implementation into a continuous integration environment.
- Documents test results and assists in the management of the defect list in a bug tracking application.
- Triages and manages bugs.
- Participate in the development of User Acceptance Testing (UAT) including developing test plans and following up on bugs or issues raised during UAT.
- Escalates necessary items to management and identifies management of potential risks.
- Works with business analysts, developers, product managers, and project managers to assess enhancement requests.
- Participates in project review sessions for new functional areas to become a business expert and understand the appropriate testing that is required.
- Participates in all scrum events including daily stand up meetings, sprint planning, user demos, retrospectives, and backlog grooming
- BA/BS in a technical discipline, preferably computer science, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience as quality assurance analyst with technical projects.
- Full system development life cycle experience.
- Experience with testing automation tools such as Selenium, Quick Test Pro.
- Hands-on relational database experience (preferable Oracle).
- Experience with writing SQL queries and creating tests to support testing of large distributed data-driven applications. Adept at data analysis using a variety of reporting language and tools to troubleshoot issues and/or perform analysis.
- Experience writing test plans and working with bug tracking applications (such Jira or Bugzilla).
- Experience executing tests including regression tests.
- Demonstrated adaptability, flexibility, and the ability to get up to speed quickly in the Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) environment and with the applications we support.
- Experience working with Agile software development framework, preferably scrum.
- Comfort with JIRA and Confluence.
- QA Certifications (e.g. IIST, ISTQB, ICAgile).
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and communications skills.
- Must be a team player and capable of handling multiple tasks independently.
- Motivation to learn and flexibility to change
We ask that interested applicants provide a cover letter and resume as one document with their application.
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening.
- Harvard University Information Technology is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship.
- This position has a 180-day orientation and review period.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
More about HUIT:
Harvard University Information Technology (HUIT) is responsible for the strategy, planning, and delivery of information technology across the University.
To assure Harvard’s leadership in IT: We strive to make it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology.
Harvard Information Technology Academy (designed for IT Staff): HUIT’s IT Academy aims to enable each IT staff person to grow professionally and become a trusted partner to her or his team. The IT Academy is built on the belief that every IT staff member across the University (including technology employees at each school and campus) can grow in her or his area of expertise as well as building strong people and project management skills. Learn more here: https://itacademy.harvard.edu/
USA - MA - Cambridge
Administrative Technology Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.