The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Central Human Resources is valued as UC Berkeley’s proactive people partner focusing on the following key priority areas:
One HR: Bringing clarity and efficiency to HR processes and structures through cross-team collaboration and transparent communication.
People: Using development opportunities beyond training to create deeper engagement, higher trust and better performance.
Culture: Applying Berkeley brand to developing a shared “enterprise contributor” mindset among all.
UCPath (PeopleSoft HCM) is the University of California’s strategic initiative to provide a standardized and streamlined payroll, benefits, HR and academic personnel solution for all UC’s campuses and medical centers, as well as self-service for the university’s 190,000 employees. The UCPath initiative includes the creation of a system-wide shared service center, called the UCPath Center responsible for the processing of the standardized administrative transactions.
The Business Systems Analyst serves as the PeopleSoft HCM functional contact and provides end user support and content expertise. Leads cross-functional teams to address business process or systems issues. The position provides guidance within GL (position funding, direct retro) business work streams. The Business Systems Analyst documents business process improvement efforts using best practices and resolves production support issues. Reporting to the UCPath Operations Support Manager, this person performs complex tasks related to the support, maintenance, testing and enhancement of PeopleSoft HCM GL subject area.
As a member of the UCPath Operations Support team the Business Systems Analyst:
• Provides PeopleSoft end user support and best practice consultation, training and functional IT support.
• Supports campus departments in troubleshooting position funding and direct retro templates.
• Leads PeopleSoft projects including developing/managing resource and task plans and managing end user documentation activities.
• Works with other functional support resources and makes solution recommendations to ensure user requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner. May lead the implementation of approved solutions.
We are looking for an analytical and technically skilled Business Systems Analyst to join our team. This role requires an individual with excellent analytical abilities, comfortable working with complex application systems (PeopleSoft), UC Berkeley’s business processes. Outstanding business acumen and ability to work with and identify the needs of a complex higher education organization. The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and changing PeopleSoft HR/Payroll environment, and driven by a desire to meet the campus business and information needs while simplifying and innovating in this space. Familiarity with PeopleSoft chart of accounts, combination edits, and salary cost transfers are a plus.
• Provide subject matter expert level application functional support and incident management for PeopleSoft, interacting directly with the end-users for position funding and direct retro templates (familiar with PeopleSoft chart of accounts).
• Perform preliminary troubleshooting to determine if a pattern exists for issue reported/escalated.
• Document problems reported including problem summary, relevant error messages, and all steps required to recreate the problem and transactional examples (e.g., invoice, item, customer/party number, request ID, etc.); Reproduce/demonstrate problem and expected results to technical resources as needed.
• Works at the highest technical level of most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
• Support in the investigation (root cause analysis) and resolution of reported system issues that are escalated to central team. Provide system information, utilize diagnostic techniques, guide the efforts of the production support and interface with UCPath Center as required.
• Plans and executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
• Leads cross-functional teams to identify, assess, and solve complex business or systems issues.
• Writes documentation. May participate in developing and presenting user support tools and training.
• Provide user support and training on new applications.
• Initiates, facilitates, implements and documents work process changes.
-Recent experience with PeopleSoft HCM.
-Advanced knowledge of systems analysis methodologies
-Advanced skills and methodologies associated with ERP production support.
-Experience with leading projects, self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team.
-Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
-Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information to technical and non-technical audiences
-Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
-5+ years of relevant PeopleSoft HCM work experience including advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft HCM business processes
-Knowledge of PeopleSoft GL (chart of accounts, salary cost transfers and payroll to GL) and related procedures.
-Familiarity with PeopleSoft Payroll processes.
-Experience with financial systems
-Experience in a higher education institution
Salary & Benefits
The annual salary range of the position is $92,000 - $150,000, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: